The film, Hip Hop and Beyond Beats was really insightful and
a deeper take on what many have tried to understand: Hip Hop. I walked away
kind of disturbed at some of the footage especially at the part where he asks
men why they call women “bitches and hoes”. Just because the women were in outfits
that were reveling doesn’t give a man a reason to call someone a hoe. If
attention is what the women want in the way they dress than they are getting it.However, when many of them where asked about this subject they all said in defense
that it doesn’t apply to them. I don’t have a problem with the way the women
were dressed but the fact that these men thought it was okay to speak and
physical touch them in such manner was just wrong. In regards to Nelly and the Tip drill video,
he was asked in an interview why he thought it was okay to objectify women and
his response was that most of the action in that video was ideas from women,
which is even more disturbing.
As far as examining explicit lyrics and young boys, I thought
it was insightful when one of the men said that they get a clear message form
top executives and from what is popular right now and that message is explicit disrespectful
lyrics sell. It’s hard to argue and teach young men the opposite when they see
their favorite rapper making a lot of money because of the stuff he/she raps about.
However, educating men at a young age to see wrong from right is a step in the
right direction.
As far as African American girls watching music videos and
the message it sends out, I think that parents need to have discussion with
their children. I had friends whose parents censored their TV from shows and music videos they considered inappropriate
but with the use of technology children
will get exposed to it one way or another so an honest open discussion is very much
needed. Girls also have to understand
that the glamorized images are unrealistic and over exaggerated. I believe the
results from the study are results of lack of education and open conversation.
I agree with you when you said it is hard to teach young men anything different when they see their favorite rappers who are even sometimes their role models making tons of money they feel that is the right way. The media truly gives a horrible depiction of African American men leaving young boys so little to look up to.
ReplyDelete