Thursday, April 26, 2012

Boys II Men


We finally had our screening of Boys of Baraka at the Utopia center yesterday! I wasn’t really sure what to expect but from all the promoting we have been doing I thought people would be genuinely excited to view the film and have an open discussion. However, what I realized is as soon as people found out about the topic, they didn’t seem as interested. I can understand that classes are coming to a close and people had test and other group work but I was a little disappointed with the turn out. However, I was so thankful for those that did take the time to come out and also discusses the topic.

From class we all had seen Boys of Baraka but watching it again I was just as interested the second time as I was the first time. What I was surprised by was the film Kate Martin put together from her Boys II Men group. The film was well thought out and the message was similar to the Boys of Baraka film. I guess when I watched the Boys of Baraka, it was more of a movie just because they were from Baltimore and it didn’t affect me directly. Not to say that it wasn’t sad or touching but watching the film about kids from right here Austin and their desire to learn, same desire the Boys from Baltimore had was really inspiring. Overall, if one person that came out learned something or was inspired by Katie’s film then we have done our job. Personally, it has definitely inspired me to be more involved with the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment