I enjoyed watching the film,
Boys of Baraka. It was funny, educational and at times really sad. The main
thing that stuck out to me was how smart the boys were, not only about their
surrounding but the bigger picture. They all knew that the place they call home
was not the safest or nicest but I felt like they knew something better was out
there for them. Many times we are forced to think that African American
students don’t want to be in school so watching the boys with excitement when
they found out they were going to Africa and the disappointment when the school
shut down was eye-opening.
Closing the Gap
I wasn’t surprised to see
such a gap exist between African Americans and Whites a letter grade difference
(B for whites and C for Blacks). The attention African Americans get in school is
incomparable. I can easily relate it back to high school where I felt like the success
of white kids somehow measured the success of the teachers. Teachers had to
give extra attention to white kids because they had parents coming to the
school to check on their kid’s progress. Most of the teachers also happen to be
coaches so school wasn’t a main priority, as long a passing grade was passed
out no matter how low; some kids were okay with that. I don’t believe in a
“real” achievement gap but rather structural oppression which forces this gap
to occur. To assume an achievement gap exists would require an even playing field
and we know that’s not the case so there is no way of figuring out this “gap”.
I can agree with the you on the fact that sometimes during my high school experience I do not feel i was given the same attention. I was in several AP classes which did not have many African American students and I often felt out of place. Of course at that age we assume all teachers are therefor everyone's best interest and view every student as equal so we question ourselves first. Now that I am in college and going through this course I can almost definitely say there was a discrepancy between the attention given to students across races.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that resources can make a huge difference in schooling when talking about the Boys of Baraka. It is rare that many people get to see what people in those neighborhoods are actually going through and the issues they are faced with. I also agree that teachers should be taught to notice and bring attention to students who are struggling with their studies. In addition we do need to understand the "gap" in better depth like you said.
ReplyDeleteI agree the system has let those young boys down and by the looks of what has happened in the past and watching this heart breaking film, it does seem like society just does not care.It is also ashamed that no more is being done to close that gap and to create more programs for children such as these children from Baltimore.
ReplyDeleteI agree with all three of you. Its sad that I am not surprised about the achievement gap between white and black kids due to resources. I do believe that resources play a big part in how students perform in school. I feel like black kids are just as capable as white kids, its just that black kids are not granted with the same resources as white children. I feel like this is one of the major reasons that there is a major achievement gap.
ReplyDelete