Thursday, March 1, 2012

Class Discussion

Strange Bedfellows against Gay Marriage: I think the fact that conservatives want to ‘team’ up with the African American population against gay marriage is just crazy. They are in a way bribing the community with money that is highly needed to oppress another community. I think as an individual African Americans have a right to agree or disagree with gay marriage and the issue as a whole but to go after a community is wrong. Most African Americans identify as Democrat so what better way for conservative Republicans to gain votes as well as support from the African American community. According to the article 60% of African Americans are against gay unions, which happen to be a bridge that brings conservatives and African Americans together but I believe that’s where the similarities in values end. Conservatives don’t need African American communities help regarding gay marriage because it’s currently illegal in most states so I feel like this partnership holds other motives.
Class Discussion: It’s one thing to discuss in class after a reading articles about how we think African American Gays feel but it’s another to actually hear straight from them.  Kerry discussed his transition from Female-to-male and the first thing I learned is that they are not changing to become someone new but correcting what was wrong. It’s hard to understand the thought process that goes on especially at a young age but hir openness was helpful. I always assumed that transgender meant that you prefer the same-sex and I learned that it differs from person to person.  We talked a lot about lack of acceptance in the African American community so it was great to hear that everyone in the panel had a strong support system that understood and was accepting. Zach spoke about spirituality as a Pan-sexual and growing up in a mixed household.  I have never heard of pan-sexual and would have assumed he was a gay man so it was interesting to hear his side and his outlook. Lastly, it was great to hear Rose talk about her coming-out story with such a sense of humor. I feel like she made the class comfortable to ask question in the way she shared her story. I leaned overall to never assume about others based on preconceived notion. Zach said it best when he said it was like hearing someone speak French the way Kerry talked about the queer community because I never knew half of the things before class.

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way as you about the "Strange Bedfellows" article. I think they are either exploiting the Black church or have hidden motives, because they only come asking for a partnership when it benefits them (in this case, to attempt to "end" homosexuality). I didn't think about the fact that it could bring more votes to the Republican side, that was a good point. I also think it's just simply destructive to the Black community since it's putting people against each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The article also upset me, knowing that they could just take over a whole community for selfish reasons. I learned alot from the speakers as well such as Kerry's F-M status and just a whole new set of gender neutral words.

    ReplyDelete