Thursday, February 9, 2012

Relationship & Class

             

Living in a class apart

Living in a class apart discusses how there is a divide or subgroup within the African American. Those that were privileged enough to grow up in elite communities and those they looked down on. In our class discussion a point was raised in regards to African Americans not looking out for their counterparts, while other cultures seem to stay as a collectivist society. I think this has a lot to do with our mindset of “me against the world”. In this economy everyone is doing their best to stay stable but if you have more, than you should WANT to help others in the community. I don’t think it’s a requirement or a burden but I think unity is something the African American community is missing.

What’s love got to do with it?: Disparity between black men and women

The article covers the basis in why women are advancing further. The only thing I could add would be that women tend to mature faster than men. By the time women reach high school they practically have planned their future while men still struggle trying to find their identity. This point is true for every group not just African Americans but with so much uncertainty and circumstances it’s the only explanation I have besides ones already stated in the article.

“Successful women who are childless”

29% of African American women between 28-55 years old and earning over $55,000 a year are married. When Cornel West entered Harvard in 1970 the ratio of black men to black women was close to even. Today, the ratio is close to 9-1 female.
 
Franklins article African American Families depicts a completely different view on the African American family. It tells stories of men going the extra length to be with their wife if they were allowed to marry and their children. Which is something  to take pride in but also we need that mindset in our society.


    
From the article by Eckholm, E. (2006), “Studies sound alarm on plight of black males”

*Black men are becoming far more disconnected from mainstream society, and to far greater than comparable white or Hispanic men. Finishing high school has become the exception, legal work is scarcer than ever and prison is sadly become a routine.
The high rate of incarceration and attendant flood of former offenders into neighborhood have become major impediments. Second factor will be strict enforcement of child support. Improved collection of money from absent fathers has been a pillar of welfare overhaul.

“Bring me home a black girl” 

Increasing number of interracial union is leading to "Annihilation through integration” a weakening of the culture and economic resources of the black community. McLarin article tells a different story In that an African American woman is pursuing a relationship outside her race and so it opens new potential relationships. Although it did not work out for her it could possibly increase the marriageability index. When I hear about interracial relationships it’s always seems like it’s about a black man and a white woman so it’s a great view point when it’s reversed and there is a culture conflict that a black man might not address.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you that most Americans have a "me against the world" mindset, but that people who have more should want to help out others not doing well. The Black community as a whole is definitely missing that unity that makes their brothers and sisters problems their own. Knowing African history and roots could possibly bring Black Americans back to the Nguzo Saba principle of collective work and responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agreed with the "me against the world mindset," as well and it was exactly a point that I was trying to make in my blog. People in the black community are often to hung up on just trying to make it and/or making a better life which is an accomplishment within itself. Then we get this idea of "I made it so can you." I think Black Americans are drifting away from the principle of unity that used to be a major aspect of our communities and now we are seeing the effects of this within society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the "living in a class apart" and how the 'elite' should help those who are less fortunate or unable to help themselves but sometimes I feel like the people who are not able to help themselves expect a handout or for someone to do all the work for them. I think there should be programs that help them along the way. This way they are able to bring themselves up with help along the way.

    ReplyDelete