Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Blog #1 A New Civil Rights Movement & Newt Gingrich Video


I was shocked by some of the statistics Bob Herbert mentions in A New Civil Rights Movement. The one that I went over the most was in regards to the HIV and AIDS infection among African Americans, especially women. The disproportion regarding new cases and women was extremely shocking. It was amazing to read how such a small percentage could contribute to a large number overall. The article was written in 2005 but if someone was to tell me this was statistic as recent as last year, I would sadly believe it. I believe Herbert wrote the article to start conversation like the one that took place in class rather than blame or attack. I agree with him when he stated that there needs to be a dramatic and powerful movement enable for change to take place but realistically, I don’t see such thing taking place anytime soon. The reason I am pessimistic about such a change is due to views like Presidential Hopeful, Newt Gingrich. Gingrich’s comments in regards to African American was wrong but after watching some of the Republican debate there are many Americans who believe such comments are warranted and acceptable, demonstrated by the loud applause his excuses get at debates. Gingrich also mentions wanting to go to the NAACP to speak about “pay checks “and not food stamps but he forgets to mention the fact that he was invited to speak several times when he served as speaker but declined.

5 comments:

  1. I think you bring up an important point when you mention that it isn't exactly realistic to engage in a revolution at this time. I think that all americans should be focusing on their personal lives in this economic crisis. Our country is in a mess, the entire lower and middle classes are struggling just to provide for their families and pay their bills. Once our country has regained a healthy economic status our citizens should then rise up and help initiate a powerful movement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about some of the points that Herbert makes.I was totally shocked about the statistics about HIV and Aids in the african american community. I had no idea that it was that high of a number. I do disagree with the political figure that trys to refer to african- americans as "those" black people. He basically belitted blacks on national television. Other races also use foodstamps, so I feel that was an unfair comment. I also agree with Maggie about that our citizens should come together to create a movement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that it is not sensible to have a movement right this moment. There are so many other important things happening right now in our nation that we should focus on from the education in America to our economy. I feel like once we try to improve these aspects of our nation we could push for a movement/we might not even need one then. I did not know that Newt Gingrich was invited several times to speak to NAACP while he served as a speaker but declined. This just reaffirms to what kind of person Newt is, a person who does not really have the lives of the people of America first but his own ambitions, the presidential campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you mention that this article was start discussion about statics and issues that some people are afraid to touch. Now that I think about it I think that the he posted it in the New York times so he can have Caucasians spark up conversations like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bem. These are really thoughtful comments.
    Rose
    (class TA)

    ReplyDelete